[Ti] PB's were in real danger of falling behind

Shawn King shawn at yourmaclife.com
Sun Jan 19 10:03:27 PST 2003

On 1/19/03 1:34 AM, "XXL" <xxl at mac.com> wrote:

>> On 1/18/03 7:43 PM, "XXL" <xxl at mac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It
>>> was felt that PB's were in real danger of falling behind.
>>
>> Falling behind what? The TiBook was pretty much the top of the line laptop.
>
> The screen and case and a lot about the TiBook had been "matched" (a poor
> word, but in the mind of many Windoids it applies) by a number of other
> machines.

So, they haven't "fallen behind", they've just been "caught up to"?

>>> And I doubt Apple is in that business of price cutting.
>>
>> Apple cuts prices on products all the time.
>
> Prices of all electronics fall, it is the nature of the industry.. A firm
> can either compete by lowering prices with the herd or bringing out fresh
> models at the higher price points. Apple likes the higher margins of fresh
> models.  Yes, Apple cuts prices all the time..

I'm sorry...I'm confused...first you say that Apple doesn't cut prices and
now you say they do....

> But only when absolutely forced to by the market.

LOL *No* capitalist cuts prices unless forced to.

> I think that Apple is still way behind on processors.  I know the Mac
> faithful will go nuts when they read this but Intel has kicked Motos ass.

Big deal.

Mac users have to stop "looking over the fence" at the other guy's lawn
mower.

I can do all the work I need to do on the machines that Apple has presently.
I believe that I can still do the work I need to do on the machines Apple
has in the pipeline.

It's not just about raw speed. It's about a comfort level, an OS that's easy
and fun to use and being part of a company and a community that I enjoy.

If what you need is raw speed, go buy a Cray.

> Oh, yea, while I am pushing all the buttons of the cult.. Steve is NOT worth
> that $400 million he got last year.. NO ONE is worth that.

That's good. Cause all he got last year was a buck. All those options don't
mean squat until Jobs cashes them in. And he has said he *won't* cash them
in.

Shawn King
On this week's YML:
Pirillo, Mossberg, Crawford!