Warranties & Applecare YES - NO?

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Sun Jan 19 11:16:12 PST 2003

Thanks Robert,

I am a firm believer that ANY - ANY extended warranty options are a rip-off.
They are mostly designed to cover a sellers/manufacturers butt for not
seeing beyond the $, or to pad the sale for a better commission. Others may
disagree?

The last Sony TV I bought is a perfect example.. The salesman tried to sell
me an extended warranty which included an extra year plus at-home servicing.
I firmly said no - in 15 years I haven't had a single bad unit yet, plus I
believe most electronic components will break within a very short time of
turning on if anything. Well the TV Tube went wonky in about a month.. Was
dreading carting the 32" beast into the shop, called Sony.. Surprise - ANY
Sony TV over 27" COMES WITH a 2 yr/home service warranty. New TV for me :-)

Originally Apple iPod's came out with a 90 day warranty and people went
nuts.. That got bumped to a year in no time.. Amazing what consumers can
accomplish when they scream loud enough. Lucky/Unlucky for me I purchased
mine before the extension and also purchased an extended 3 years on my 10g
iPod - so we'll see what happens there!

This case is about the only other situation I have ever come across where
the need just seems so high.. No knock on Apple, it's a portable device so
it doesn't surprise me.

I think Paula hit the nail on the head - works out to about CDN$25/mo for
insurance coverage.. Can't get any simpler than that.

On 1/19/03 3:12 AM, "Robert Nicholson" <robert at elastica.com> wrote:

> Has anybody been tracking the price of Applecare? It's like Rolex watches.
> They seem to be increasing the price to encourage customers to purchase the
> coverage soon rather than later. I hope this doesn't continue without
> justification. I choose to wait until May (last month of my warranty) before
> purchasing Applecare mainly because from what I understand Apple will not
> allow you to transfer the coverage to another machine so it is effectively
> part of the value of the machine. So if someone steals my laptop, or I drop it
> or whatever I'm out the cost of Applecare. I wonder if contents insurance
> covers other forms of insurance.
>
> On Saturday, January 18, 2003, at 07:35  PM, Bill Fox wrote:
>
>> My advice would be to get AppleCare. It'll sell faster and you'll get top
>> dollar for your TiBook when you do sell it if there is a year or more left on
>> AppleCare when you do. Plus you'll protected against big bills in the mean
>> time.
>>
>> On Saturday, January 18, 2003, at 11:06 AM, Bill Reburn wrote:
>>
>>> SO, the big question - AppleCare in Canada will cost me about $615. That's
>>> $300/yr for 2 years of technical protection for a machine that has caused me
>>> maybe one or two headaches along the way, but is more importantly still very
>>> useful.

Bill Reburn