Network Ports

David Remahl david at ittpoi.com
Sun Jan 19 11:33:08 PST 2003

Hi.

On my two last portables, I've had various network port troubles...I
was wondering if you've experienced anything like it, and how you
resolved them?

1 ------
iBook 700 MHz, Combo
This network port suffers from very bad connection. The white plastic
thing that makes up the actual suspension for the RJ45 connector is
loose. If I just let go of the inserted connector, it tilts backwards
and the connection is lost. If I put something below it (right next to
the computer) to support it, there is the risk that the force is too
great and the plastic suspension "cracks"  and gets out of place. To
get it back, I need to use quite a lot of force. When it snaps back
there is a significant "click".

To get a good connection it is necessary to fiddle with the angle of
the connector and hope that you find a position where the connection is
OK.

2 ------
TiBook 1GHz, SD
On the TiBook, the problem is the reverse. Once I insert the connector,
it is _stuck_. Even though I can (with some effort) fully push away the
little plastic thing that is supposed hold the connector in place, I
can't pull the connector out. It attaches to the port some other way.
It is not connector specific, but applies to many types of RJ45's. I
need to use a long small object like a knife to push away the plastic
thing and at the same time pull the connector out. That works sometimes.

What can I do to solve this? For the iBook, I'm convinced that I need
to replace the white plastic thing that holds the connector. It has
always been pretty bad, but it has gotten worse. On the TiBook I'm
hoping the port will "wear out" a bit so that what is stopping the
connector from being released becomes less sharp.

/ Regards, David Remahl