[Ti] Problem with Huge File Transfer in X.

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Mon Jan 20 20:45:57 PST 2003

David DelMonte <david at bohtech.com> writes:
> Some time ago I added no-name memory to my system. It worked and I
> forgot about it.
>
> However, checking the OS/9 profiler, I realized that it was PC133
> memory and I have a 100mhz bus. Checking with Kingston memory affirmed
> that while some PC 133 will work ok, in most cases, it will not, and
> cause spurious errors.

OK, I am SERIOUSLY doubting the competence of whoever told you that.
PC133 RAM *should* always work fine running at PC100; it's the same
stuff, just running a little slower.  The only problems arise when the
RAM is not programmed properly for running at PC100, but almost all
quality RAM is.  More likely the no-name RAM was poorly manufactured
and had bad data bits.  This happens a LOT-I would not recommend most
manufacturers...  Apple original RAM is usually OK, and there are only
a certain number of fabs I trust-the vendor doesn't really matter too
much.  One of the good ones is Crucial/Micron.  There are other good
fabs too, but I can't recall them all offhand.  I am specifically wary
of unlabeled chips or chips from a company I've never heard of.

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html