[Ti] Screen Saver/Screen Dimming

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Wed Jan 22 06:54:15 PST 2003

luke <etyrnal at ameritech.net> writes:
> is there such a thing as a screen saver for OS X that would turn a=20
> powerbook's lcd power OFF?
>
> i mean turn the power to the light off??
> Is there such thing as an extension or preference pane to dim your=20
> powerbook's lcd brightness based on the time of day?
>
> for instance, the display would steadily dim more the later into the=20
> evening it gets??
>
> is it even possible??

You can turn power to the LCD off by using the Energy Saver control
panel.  Depending on your version of hardware and the OS, turning the
brightness all the way down will either turn off the backlight bulb, or
it may totally power down the LCD.
It would be possible to dim the PowerBook's display over time, but
AFAIK, nobody has done this yet.  Get a 17" PowerBook, however, and you
can take advantage of its ambient light sensors to automatically dim
the display as appropriate for the lighting levels.  I'm not sure if
this is a smooth dimming, or if it's a two-level sort of thing,
however.  Give me about 3 months, and I should have one myself, and I
can let you know.  ;-)

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html