[Ti] Market Share: 2.3% -- That's NOT good press

Massimo Marino Massimo_Marino at lbl.gov
Thu Jan 23 10:07:09 PST 2003

Actual number you asked? actual numbers you are given.

At the Lab I am currently am (CERN-Geneva) the the following looks
close to the actual situation:

    active Macs      1155
    Windows NT        537
    Windows 95       1435
    Windows 2000     3616     Total Windows:     5588
    Linux            2795

Of the Linux machines, 1488 are locked up in farms and I think we can
argue that they are not to be included in the PC user arguments.
I don't know how many windows machines are similarly locked up in as
servers (for example, the ones handling the dial-in modems should
certainly not count) but there are quite some

So we have a distribution of

    Windows  5588-  70%
    Linux    1307   16%
    Mac      1155-  14%

Macs are up roughly 2% from pre-OS X.

One experiment decided to go OS X: many units are being ordered.
Another is actively increasing the support for it and ensure its sw
will run on OS X as well.

Lawrence Livermore has since last year official support for OS X and
purchase plan with Apple. Lawrence Berkeley is following and a recent
platform survey recommends expanding the use of Linux and OS X and
reduce the presence of Windows machines. Lawrence Berkeley now has
again (after years it was dropped) a certified in-house Certified Apple
repair unit and this in part because of the increased numbers of OS X
machines around.
I will ask our MUG President in case he has numbers of the growth at
the lab and post again.

MIT fully supports OS X.

Looks also at these 2 links for example:
http://www.macosxlabs.org/index.html and
http://web.mit.edu/is/help/macos/macosx/macos10.2/

I have a personal count of 10 (that is TEN) colleagues who switched to
Mac in the last year and a half (all TiBooks) and one more today (so
the count is really 11) which has now ordered the new 17" display
AlBook, To me these are not wishful thinking: it is something I have
NEVER HAVE SEEn HAPPEN BEFORE! And again: at seminars and workshops the
number of TiBooks (soon AlBooks?, well at least one!) is definitely no
more irrelevant in the audience.

Henry, you are not in a different planet, maybe simple in the wrong
field ;-)

Cheers

--
Massimo Marino