Apple growth

Massimo Marino Massimo_Marino at lbl.gov
Thu Jan 23 12:09:39 PST 2003

As promised here are some figures (preliminary) concerning my home
institution.

As  of 12-13-02 the Property Management Database had 960 Apple
manufactured computers .  This does not include those that have been
"retired" as too old (and inexpensive) to retain in the database.

A year ago:
On Thursday, January 23, 2003, at 08:44 PM, Dan Cheng wrote:

> from Keith, just about a year ago (Jan 31, 2002).

>> OS 9 = 288 (55.5%)
>> OS 8 = 164 (31.6%)
>> OS X = 67 (12.9%)
>> Total identifiable Mac OS AppleTalk Devices = 519
>> Total AppleTalk Devices = 800

>> Only counted lab owned computers, personal computers were not included

The Apple Talk Devices figure includes all (peripherals connected to
AppleTalk and not identified as such as a Mac OS running computer -
printers, scanners, etc).

As you can see they are not *just* wishful thoughts. As I said already
- "Macs are popping up as mushrooms" in scientific communities.
Although some already existing might simply made its appearance on the
data base the increase is justified by the very fact that one sees more
Macs around than ever (especially among portables).

Even assuming that the 960 as of December includes all (hence to be
compared to Total Apple Devise and not to Total identifiable Mac OS
Devices) that's about a 20% increase -- which is quite respectable
being the worst-case-increase-figure, I would say.

Cheers and cheer up

--
Massimo Marino
NERSC Division - HPC Department