[Ti] Battery Life?

Deborah Shadovitz deb at shadovitz.com
Fri Jan 24 15:03:41 PST 2003

On Friday, January 24, 2003, at 01:33 PM, Seymour J. Wolfson wrote:

> I have one of the original TiPB when they first came out, and, as I
> recall, they were supposed to last about 4 hours on the battery.  I
> have been doing OK for a long time, but most recently I noticed that
> after about 1.5 hours, the battery gives out.

the battery life stated is always under the minimal use.
The reality is that many factors bite into that time. If you have
Airport on, you greatly reduce battery life. The backlight cuts down
time, more when brightest. A CD/DVD in the drive uses energy. So do
external FireWire or USB devices, including a USB keyboard light.
Processor performance too. The Energy Saver panel of System Prefs can
help - a bit. Processor-heavy work costs. (There may be more factors
that I'm forgetting.)

>  In fact it happens so fast, I do not even have enough time to shut it
> down before it goes into the coma state.
> Is this what should be expected or is this battery dying?

That shut down doesn't sound right. You should have more substantial
time. I think I have a good amount of time, even with an external
FireWire drive and Airport.

- - - - -
Deborah Shadovitz, Author, Instructor & Speaker ~ shadovitz- dot-com
Adobe Certified Training Provider & GoLive ACE
MacAddict Contributing Editor, O'Reilly Network author, Mac Design
Columnist
Author of the Adobe GoLive 5 Bible ~ <http://www.GoLiveBible.com>
Launch Pad Books, and good old Mac Efficiency 101 from MacCentral days