CD drive won't write in X.2.3 -- bug or drive?

Stephen Chakwin schak at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jan 24 14:57:48 PST 2003

My TiBook (550 less than a year old) CD drive is getting funny and I
don't know if it's X.2.3 or the drive is failing.

When I try to copy onto a CD everything seems fine until I try to burn
the disc.  Then it verifies, tells me its burning, goes back to
verifying and then ejects the disc partway through the process with an
error message telling me that the process was interrupted.  The CD is
then unreadable, either by the TiBook or by my flat-screen iMac running
X.2.1.

The drive reads both music and data CDs with no problem -- I tried as a
test.  This makes me suspect that its some sort of X.2.3 burning issue.
  Does anyone know anything about this and whether this is a known bug
and if so whether there's a workaround (other than using firewire to
connect to my iMac and use that for copying data while I wait for X.2.4
or panther to come out)?

TIA

Stephen