[Ti] Tibook recovery

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Sat Jan 25 09:36:47 PST 2003

>>>http://www.computersecurity.com/stealth/
>>>
>>>This is a tracking system that installs to OSX and when a stolen
>>>Tibook or other laptop connects to the Internet it tracks the
>>>location by IP.

Before the computer can connect with the Internet, it must have
completed the boot process. If the owner is in any way a security
conscious person, they will not have enabled booting without a
password at startup. Given that the thief does not know your semi
secure password to boot the machine, they will then try to boot from
a CD to reset the password. If you have enabled Open Firmware
password protection, booting from a CD will not be possible without
the Open Firmware password.

The only option to the thief is to then go to an Apple authorized
dealer to reset the Open Firmware password after having shown a
purchase receipt, or to choose to upgrade the machine with a new
larger hard drive thereby bypassing all of the security that you
thought you had.

Hmmmm. I wonder what I would do if I was a thief?

I think it best to keep an eye on your stuff.
--

Robert Ameeti
mailto:robert at ameeti.net