[Ti] OS X on a PC? [forward from a different list]

cbirds cbirds at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 25 19:37:08 PST 2003

Chris Olson tapped out this message on 1/25/2003 10:23 PM

>The trouble with most of these guys is that they are Pentium nuts.  I
>think the Pentium 4 might be better for some duties, but overall I
>still think the PowerPC design has some merits that makes it a better
>choice than the Pentium.  If you try to explain to these megahertz
>crazy x86 guys the relative merits of a 64-bit RISC processor that only
>dissipates 19 watts at a clock speed of 1.2 gigahertz, it goes right in
>one ear and out the other, usually.  Most of them don't know the
>difference between 32-bit and 64-bit, or RISC or CISC; they just want
>to go buy a $999 Dell and throw OS X in it.

TRUE! But, the site is for real in that they truly think there is some
chance that they can convince Apple to allow X on INTEL and they truly
desire it.
I have argued basically the same thing -- why do you want what you think
is such a nice OS on such crummy hardware? Why not just use it on the
hardware it comes with. :-)

Whether it can be done at all, I don't know, and what would happen to
Apple if they did it, I think would be a disaster.