[Ti] Why do URL's die when wrapped?

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Mon Jan 27 07:51:01 PST 2003

>The easiest way to get the URL, intact, to the highest percentage of
>mail readers is simple: Check to see where your 'wrap' is set in
>outgoing mail. Then, always use "< >" angle brackets, at the
>beginning and end, and, if the line of the URL is long, hit a hard
>carriage return at LESS than the number of columns [like 'spaces'],
>than the wrap feature is setfort.
>
>I.E. if your emailer is wrapping at 72 characters

Why would a email client force a wrap at any particular place? Why
would the client not just autowrap to the windows size? I've just
checked Apple's Mail, Eudora, and Entourage. The only one that forces
text to wrap at a particular line length is Entourage which wraps the
text at 76 characters whether I like it or not.

Can I change this? Why does Entourage force this? It is looking like
Entourage is causing the problems here. Is Flipper using Entourage?
Is that why he has to insert spaces in his URLs? This certainly seems
to be on a path to creating a problem rather than solving one. URLs
do not have spaces in them an certainly some clients will bark at
their existence.
--

Robert Ameeti
mailto:robert at ameeti.net