[Ti] MS SQL 2000 Worm

Chris Rock stinger at pixar.com
Mon Jan 27 10:41:31 PST 2003

I agree with Mike Stanley. You can bring a horse to water, but you can't
force him to drink.
Just because there is a security patch, not everyone will update their
software with it.
To be lazy is to be human.

Hell I know plenty of mac users who are either too lazy, or are just to
paranoid to install their software updates until MONTHS after they
release. The same goes with Windows users.

Blaming MS in this matter is like blaming the doctor who was going to
give you your vaccine but you stopped him and now you are dying. EVERY
piece of software has bugs, period. Any piece of software as complex as
a database system or an OS, with all the user interactions it must
perform will ALWAYS have vulnerabilities.

You know why MS's operating system is always targeted? Look at the
installed user base. It's huge!! People know it, inside and out. If you
were going to create something to hurt/damage the most machines you
possibly could, what would you target? The OS on the greatest # of
computers. Trust me, if the tables were turned and OS X was the most
predominant OS in the world, there would be that many more people
looking at how to make their users lives hell, either through a worm or
other type of virus.

In the end it's really all about numbers. What is the highest body count
we can go for. When you have a weapon of mass destruction, do you aim it
at some small town with 45 people in it, or do you go for the BIG target?

- Rock