[Ti] Battery Question

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Wed Jul 2 10:25:51 PDT 2003

Yes, there is an internal battery.  The type and location of the
battery vary slightly depending on which PowerBook you have, though,
and none of them are found in a store.  Luckily, the battery should
almost never need to be replaced, because it's rechargeable.  To charge
it, just leave your computer plugged in constantly for 48 hours.  To
test the battery, shut the computer down, unplug it, and remove the
battery for 10-20 minutes.  If you then plug it in and turn it on and
the date is still there, the battery is OK.
There are several things that will reset the date normally, however;
resetting the power manager/zapping the NVRAM/PRAM (ie
Command-Option-P-R or pressing the reset button on the back of the
computer or on the logic board, depending on the model), or leaving the
computer asleep with no battery, or with a dead battery.  In the last
two cases, the computer will drain the internal battery trying to keep
the computer asleep before it has to shut off, and then recharge the
battery once the computer is plugged in for a while.

David DelMonte <ddelmonte at mac.com> writes:
> My PB was unplugged for a few days and the date reset to 1969 (one of
> my favorite years). Is there an internal battery in these machines
> similar to the desktop systems that needs replacing? If so, how do I
> get to it (hammer?)?

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html