FireWire Startup Disk Problem

Leo D. Venezuela levenezu at myrealbox.com
Thu Jul 3 02:42:34 PDT 2003

Hello.

I recently acquired a FireWire enclosure for my 2.5" 12GB hard disk
(transferred from a retired PB1400c/G3 250). Installation was a snap
and upon connecting the drive to my TiBook/400 (running OS X 10.2.6),
it immediately mounted and transfers to and from the notebook are a
snap.

I wanted to make the FireWire drive into an OS X startup disk. I
installed OS X 10.2 on the FireWire drive and upgraded the
installation to 10.2.6. I then selected the FireWire drive as the
startup disk in the Startup Disk option in System Preferences. My
TiBook then restarted. However, after the startup gray apple
disappeared, it was replaced with a gray "forbidden" sign and the
startup process wouldn't continue further. I also tried to boot from
the FireWire drive by pressing the Alt/Option key during the startup
process and selecting the FireWire drive. But after selecting it, I
also get the "forbidden" sign and the process wouldn't proceed
further. I've already installed the PowerBook Firmware Update 4.1.8
but the problem persists.

Is there anything I missed in the process?

Would appreciate any inputs from the more enlightened members of this list.

Thanks.

Leo
--

L  e  o   D.   V  e  n  e  z  u  e  l  a
email: ldven at i-manila.com.ph
mobile email: levenezu at globextm.com.ph
mobile: +63 922 369 7958
fax: +1 413 826 2738