[Ti] Canadian Apple Music Store Clone coming [OT]

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Mon Jul 7 13:31:23 PDT 2003

Tarik Bilgin typed this message on 7/7/03 2:39 PM:

> It's rumoured that Real Audio is bringin out a similar service. This
> market is going to get competitive. good news for us :)

Well, Apple has had a pretty decent lead time in which to clean up
financially. It only stands to reason that others want to get into the
action.

What I am hoping is that PureTracks getting going will serve as a wakeup
call to Apple to work with Apple Canada to open up the Canadian Market. I
would certainly rather get my music from Apple than a third party.

Of course they will have to match the .99¢ Canadian price (or about .65¢ US)
before Canadians jump aboard.

> I guess that would be true if PureTracks can offer a similar or better
> selection of music.  Signing deals with labels is not an easy thing to
> do.  Yeah, you can get all the independents to sign on, but they don't
> have the big acts that most people want.

Exactly, Neil. That is a big "IF" IMHO. It made a big splash on Canadian
National newscasts last night, so certainly there are hopes being raised up
here North of the border.

The other big question would be what kind of software would they offer to
get into the PureTracks Music Store? I hardly believe Apple would allow them
to hack out their own version of iTunes.

jg