AAC redux...(OT)

Khyber Courchesne khyber at urbisnet.com
Tue Jul 8 15:23:52 PDT 2003

So.....its been a few months now since we've been able to AAC on our
powerbooks.  In my opinion, a 128kbps AAC file does not sound as full as a
160 kbps MP3 file.  We played a file of one song from each codec, as well as
straight from the CD, and the AAC file sounded (to paraphrase neil young)
like having ice cubes gushing out at you in the shower. Tinnier, thinner,
and cold.  But that's just me.  The MP3 sounded close to the warmth of the
CD.

What are other people doing?  Are we all using Apple's recommended 128 bit
rate AAC encoding?  Or something different?  How are you balancing quality
against file size?

Cheers, etc.