[Ti] [OT] Windoze networking and Invisible files

Benn joverkamp at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 8 16:39:29 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, at 03:08  PM, Bill Reburn wrote:
> I know this is somewhat Ti/PowerBook related cause I bet more laptops
> are
> accessing these Windows networks than other models of Macs..
>
> Anywho - whats with the invisible files popping up everywhere? I have
> explain some OSX stuff to the NT admin here - does anyone have any
> resources
> I could draw from to help with this? Or to help explain whats going on?

I'd guess you're talking about ._<name of file> that shows up when you
transfer files to a Windows machine, but you never see on the mac.
They are resource files that the mac uses but windows machines do not.
I posted a link on MacOSXhints about this topic and the comments go a
little further:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20020217094739452
My solution was simply to use the UNIX cp command to copy the files, as
it does not copy the resources.  This can be done from the terminal or
through a GUI front end to the command.
There is also another hint with comments that might be helpful here:
http://www.macosxhints.com/
article.php?story=20021118060850652&query=%5C%22._%5C%22

If this wasn't what you're talking about I'm sorry.
Benn