[Ti] AAC redux...(OT)

Benn joverkamp at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 8 16:44:02 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, at 04:23  PM, Khyber Courchesne wrote:
> So.....its been a few months now since we've been able to AAC on our
> powerbooks.  In my opinion, a 128kbps AAC file does not sound as full
> as a
> 160 kbps MP3 file.  We played a file of one song from each codec, as
> well as
> straight from the CD, and the AAC file sounded (to paraphrase neil
> young)
> like having ice cubes gushing out at you in the shower. Tinnier,
> thinner,
> and cold.  But that's just me.  The MP3 sounded close to the warmth of
> the
> CD.
>
> What are other people doing?  Are we all using Apple's recommended 128
> bit
> rate AAC encoding?  Or something different?  How are you balancing
> quality
> against file size?

i use:
lame --alt-preset standard
http://www.mp3dev.org
from the help:
The --alt-preset switches are designed to provide the highest possible
quality.

They have for the most part been subject to and tuned via rigorous
double blind listening tests to verify and achieve this objective.

These are continually updated to coincide with the latest developments
that occur and as a result should provide you with nearly the best
quality currently possible from LAME.

For VBR modes (generally highest quality):
      "--alt-preset standard" This preset should generally be
transparent to most people on most music and is already quite high in
quality.

There is also a iTunes script that is customizable and takes the Tag
info from iTunes and encodes all the tracks from a CD.  Very nice, very
good quality.

Benn