[Ti] [OT] Windoze networking and Invisible files

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Wed Jul 9 00:19:05 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, at 10:08  pm, Bill Reburn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know this is somewhat Ti/PowerBook related cause I bet more laptops
> are
> accessing these Windows networks than other models of Macs..
>
> Anywho - whats with the invisible files popping up everywhere? I have
> explain some OSX stuff to the NT admin here - does anyone have any
> resources
> I could draw from to help with this? Or to help explain whats going on?
>
> Thanks.

If you are thinking of the .DS_Store files -- there is one of these in
each directory on your Mac OSX volume.

Any directory you mount on a OSX machine (even via SMB) will get one of
these files. I think it may be where the OS stores info about position
of files within the window in Aqua -- I'm not sure about that though.

In any case, it's perfectly safe to delete the file, a new one will be
created each time. You can assure the sysadmin that the file is small
and harmless.

--
Tarik Bilgin
Opalblue