[Ti] AAC redux...(OT)

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Wed Jul 9 00:22:11 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, at 11:23  pm, Khyber Courchesne wrote:

> So.....its been a few months now since we've been able to AAC on our
> powerbooks.  In my opinion, a 128kbps AAC file does not sound as full
> as a
> 160 kbps MP3 file.  We played a file of one song from each codec, as
> well as
> straight from the CD, and the AAC file sounded (to paraphrase neil
> young)
> like having ice cubes gushing out at you in the shower. Tinnier,
> thinner,
> and cold.  But that's just me.  The MP3 sounded close to the warmth of
> the
> CD.

In my non-scientific tests, using lame encoded mp3's versus AAC at an
identical bitrate I found that AAC sounded much closer to the original
(.aiff) in around 10 test cases.

I always test at equal bitrates. I found that the file sizes where
about the same (AAC slightly smaller) but AAC sounded much fuller, with
greater clarity and greater depth to the music.

--
Tarik Bilgin
Opalblue
tarik at opalblue.com