[Ti] Titanium G4 Pros and cons (experiences with G4 TiPB 667 Rev 2 and 12 12 inches TiPB Aluminum - rugged they AINT!)

warwick teale warwick_teale at mac.com
Fri Jul 11 03:56:14 PDT 2003

plz be cool! it is an opinion only and I am a loyal APPLE customer that
has bought 7 new macs over the past 2 years including this an 12 and a
14inches Ibooks and an original CLAMSHELL ibook (1999( and several G4
towers).. for self and with colleagues... I would not sledge APPLE.

If the original poster who asked about the G4 TiPB is still reading
this diatribe, I for one would HIGHLY RECOMMEND he/she goes and buys an
Apple POWERBOOK (Ti or whatever they are calling them now).  Dont wait
for any G5 .. if you need it get it. They are wonderful, cool looking ,
fast and have good RESALE value .. but they are still fragile in my
opinion.

I wanted to contrast the obvious fragility of the Ti with the old IBM
laptops and even my friends old Black G3 POwerbook. the Ti and the
12inch are indeed fragile.

Airports( as in "fei ji chang"): well.... I have been on 34
international flights (excluding domestic) so far this year to more
than 40 countries... YEs I travel a lot.. and frankly the american
airports are the worst in the consideration scale for handling peoples
stuff..(and their slow awareness of wireless compared to the rest of
the world is frustrating when you have a TI with AIRPORT CARD in it and
nothing to connect to except phone sockets).

As is pointed out by the previous post, a protective SLEAVE works just
great to stop this. But YOU will notice (if you travel as I do) that
the airport x-ray demons request you remove it from the bag and in
recent times place it (the laptop) in the plastic tray.

Luckily my Ti667 has no cracks in it, but it was broken badly when it
was dropped in a padded back (As I described).

There has been so man posts about the faults of the Titanium G4 PB by
posters of this list (As an example), since they first came out but I
see the same people still posting this list years later.. a sign that
the TI is a cool laptop.

Apple will get it better each time.