Titanium G4 Pros and Cons

Joseph Fisher kzfisher at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 11 08:24:36 PDT 2003

The facts from the thread are;  (a) We love our TiBooks (b) whether we
want to admit it or not, they are fragile and we were, IMO "beta"
testers for this now defunct series (note; no more Titanium out of
Cupertino). Yes, that is Apple's fault, but Apple isn't my Mommie, they
are a going concern, a business and as such have a goal to make a
profit, battle competition,  and keep stockholders happy. This is
covered well in the great book  Apple the Naked Truth by Scott Kelby.
That said here's my experience

My TiBook travels only a few miles a day in a padded CaseLogic case. I
use the after market velvet like cloth between screen and keyboard. It
is babied because I know from other users and my own experience, it has
to be. I live with that fact. I applaud those who travel the world with
their TiBooks,  but I'd dig up a late generation Pismo and put a new G4
CPU in it for my Road Warrior.

After one year of my Ti DVI 800 MHz: My PROs are too numerous to list -
in short I love the TIBook even with it's CONs which are; It is a nice
little "lap toaster" especially running VPC.  It has been back to Apple
Care for repairs twice.  First - the notorious hinge break - snapped
off without notice. (And yes I knew how to carefully open the thing)
also had the paint bubbling issue beginning on lower casing - To my
delight  both hinges, lower case were replaced without hassle and to my
satisfaction. It hasn't happened again I think better paint and better
hinges?  Second incident came 2 months after the first, system wouldn't
power on and needed a logic board replaced. It was a long wait for the
the repair but seems to be fine now.

NOTE; I am an Apple devote,  I  STILL love my TiBook wouldn't trade it
for my wife's Toshiba  (which is the same age, gets more abuse and has
never seen a repair needed!) Why wouldn't I trade? 1) screen can't
compare, 2) weight - her all in one weighs a ton 3) hate the track pad
4) hate the keyboard 5) no slot loading CD 6) WiFi card hangs out the
side 7) Windows and temperamental Windows pgms vs. OS X Jaguar and the
ability to use OS 9  -  need I say more?

Great thread folks -
Joe Fisher
Auburndale, Florida