[Ti] Experience with bumping ram from 512->1GB on Ti 867?

Bill Reburn billreburn at shaw.ca
Wed Jul 16 06:59:52 PDT 2003

On 7/16/03 12:42 AM, "Sam Hotchkiss" <ti at zlit.net> wrote:

> On 7/15/03 11:58 AM, "Pedro Vera" <pedro at veraperez.com> wrote:
>
>> Would any of you that has made the jump from 512MB to 1 GB RAM on your Ti 867
>> please share
>> your experience?
>>
>> I just did it half an hour ago, so it is too early for me to distinguish
>> between a real improvement
>> and wishful thinking.
>
> I had a GREAT improvement in high-ram applications (in particular Final Cut
> Pro)

Likewise, after running the Adobe collection all day I liked to fire up the
Terminal and look at the pageouts/ins.. With minimal ram I would be in the
millions (exagerrating) in the pageout area. I could hear my Ti several
times a day just thrashing the HD. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....ZZZZZZZZ...
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....ZZZZZZZZZZZ (that¹s my thrashing sound). After
the ram upgrade it was almost entirely cleared up. This is going from the
stock 256 up to 768 (1 x 512 chip) on a Ti550combo. Now I run everything all
the time, never shut anything down (except when wifey wants to check her
damn email ;-), never reboot (although running maint. utilities like
MacJanitor helps).

I would say the ram upgrade helped me tremendously. If all you do is check
email and surf the web.. With the occasional document or graphics to work
on, you may not notice a thing. You're starting from a pretty healthy 512 to
begin with.. Most people rarely get near a gig of ram on their machine, let
alone a laptop! Just a year or three ago, I remember people ooohhing and
aaahing that I had 2gigs of ram in my tower - they thought it was such a
waste of money - but a necessary evil in my field.

Bill Reburn
Associate Member of the
Society of Graphic Designers
of Canada : MB Chapter