[Ti] [OT] DSL Speed Test

Dale Gardner drgardner at mac.com
Thu Jul 24 10:09:34 PDT 2003

on 7/24/03 11:55 AM, Chris Scott at crscott at newsguy.com wrote:

> What's your reference to 'MAE East and West or equivalent nodes"?
> Are those technical terms or a joke (Mae West) that I'm not getting?
>
>From whatis.com:

A MAE (pronounced MAY ), originally an abbreviation for Metropolitan Area
Exchange and now a service mark of MCI WorldCom, is a major center in the
United States for interconnecting traffic between Internet service providers
( ISP s).  There are three major MAEs in the United States: MAE-East in the
Washington, D.C. area; MAE-West in the San Jose, California area; and
MAE-Central in Dallas, Texas.  These three points along with several
interconnection points previously identified by the National Science
Foundation as network access points ( NAP s) form what is sometimes
considered the national commercial Internet backbone .