[Ti] Videoconferencing, anyone?

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Tue Jul 29 01:40:06 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 29, 2003, at 09:26  am, Steve Wozniak wrote:

> At 10:48 PM -0400 7/28/03, Murray Kastner wrote:
>
>> My girlfriend's son is going to Hong Kong for a year (to design and
>> build a new city, I am told...) and I wondered if anyone has had some
>> hands-on experience with it. I would imagine he'll be set up to do it
>> between head office in NYC and his HK office. I have a 17" Big Al
>> with a Meg of RAM. I believe that I have the requisite software
>> available from Apple?
>
> This is not very clear to me. It sounds like he will be using existing
> teleconferencing equipment and you are asking if he can use it with
> you, on your Big Al. I would guess that such equipment uses the more
> currently common protocol (???), while iChat AV uses a newer protocol,
> and they are not compatible.

My company has just won a major contract to provide marketing and
advertising fora large organization located around 300 miles away.

I have been asked by senior management about Videoconferencing options.
I told them that a "board room to board room" pro solution will cost
near to 10K to implement (well over their budget) and mentioned Apple's
new venture in this area -- we are testing iChatAV this morning and
i'll let you know how it goes :)

(problem at the mo is the G4 towers don't seem to like Plaintalk Mics
(they have proprietary connectors) -- we've sent someone out to buy a
standard "PC" mic in the hope that will work)

--
Tarik Bilgin
Opalblue
tarik at opalblue.com