[Ti] Formac digital TV recorder?

David Remahl david at ittpoi.com
Fri Jun 6 04:16:34 PDT 2003

Robert,

I believe it records in pure DV Stream. Therefore, it provides superior
quality compared to its competitors, most of which compress the stream
into a relatively small mpeg1 file. DV takes _a_lot_ of hard drive
space.

I think you should estimate 3-6 GB / hour of recording (someone more
into digital video will probably correct me if I'm wrong). Since it
isn't viable to keep a lot of video on your hard drive at that
(mega)bitrate, you will have to convert the source material into some
other format before archiving (or perhaps burn it to DVD discs). If you
have QuickTime Pro, it is simple to export the movie to another format,
for example MPEG-4.

Format is definitely the pick of the bunch, but it does come at a price
(both $$$ and GB's). If you plan to downsample the files to MPEG 1
anyway, then it may be better to go with a cheaper and more convenient
solution, such as EyeTV.

Note that I don't own either of those machines, although I've seen
EyeTV in action. I am however considering buying either.

No matter which one you choose, make sure you get one that correspons
to the TV format in use in your country (generally, USA -> NTSC, Europe
-> PAL).

/ Regards, David

PS. If anyone knows anywhere in the U.S.A. where one can buy a _PAL_
Formac DV/TV Studio, I'd like to know. Preferably in the Bay area). Or,
if anyone knows if it is possible to modify a Format NTSC box into PAL
mode (I have noticed that many graphics cards have jumpers that allow
setting the video mode). DS.