[Ti] sleep mode - Battery life

Randy Reames randy at reames.org
Fri Jun 6 06:28:44 PDT 2003

On Friday, June 6, 2003, at 08:07 AM, Lisbeth Zachs wrote:

> fredagen den 6 juni 2003 kl 11.12 skrev wp:
>
>> sleep is for few minutes pause
>>
>> if Im going to stop the work for more, just shut down
> -----------
> But why? The computer works just as beautiful the next time I want it,
>  if I simply close the lid.
>
> Is there seriously a teori that the computer is better treated if we
> shut it down properly at long breaks.
>
> I'm of the opinion that either it doesn't matter, or that it infact is
> better for the computer not to be turned on so often and therefor
> healthier to keep it running.

BSD and all Unix OS's by nature are designed to rarely be shut down.
Several of the "self-maintenance" operations, cron, log rotating,
locate, etc. are usually set to run in the off hours. They should only
be brought down for upgrades and maintenance.

I have traveled from KS to NY and back all while using only sleep mode.

Early Microsoft OS's have brought about the "if there is a problem
reboot" and "reboot often to clear things up." Which is not the case
with UNIX, Linux, BSD, and OSX.

I don't know about earlier Mac OS's as I didn't like Mac's until OS X.
And yes I call it Oh-Ess-Ex because I came from the UNIX, Linux side.
Not the Mac "numbers".

rr
--
Randy Reames  ~(*)~ www.reames.org
  "Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must