[Ti] sleep mode - Battery life

Murray Kastner murrayka at mac.com
Fri Jun 6 06:34:46 PDT 2003

At 3:07 PM +0200 6/6/03, Lisbeth Zachs wrote:
>fredagen den 6 juni 2003 kl 11.12 skrev wp:
>
>>sleep is for few minutes pause
>>
>>if Im going to stop the work for more, just shut down
>
>-----------
>But why? The computer works just as beautiful the next time I want
>it,  if I simply close the lid.
>
>Is there seriously a teori that the computer is better treated if we
>shut it down properly at long breaks.
>
>I'm of the opinion that either it doesn't matter, or that it infact
>is better for the computer not to be turned on so often and therefor
>healthier to keep it running.

This is a long-running debate: whether it is better to shut down
during periods of idleness. I understood that the hard drives, etc.
last longer if they are always left on. And the easy-sleep feature of
the Macs tend to enable this.

My vote is to leave it on. And the way it was explained to me was
through an anology with a light bulb. When does it usually burn out?
Usually upon startup, when the stress on elements is greatest. Ergo,
ellectric and electronic elements will endure constant-on better than
off-on.

Now I will merely close the lid as I won't be using my BigAl for a few hours.

--
Best regards,

Murray
mailto:murrayka at mac.com