[Ti] Panicking on wake up

garretts at xmission.com garretts at xmission.com
Fri Jun 6 08:28:59 PDT 2003

> My 1gig TiBook has started crashing when I wake it up. This doesn't
> happen all the time, but enough to make it obvious that something is
> amiss.
>
> Is this a known problem with a known fix? I'm running OS 10.2.6.

I had the same problem with my Power Mac.  Often, but not always, I
would get a kernel panic when waking up.  (Occasionally it wouldn't
even get to the point where the screen would turn back on.)

I finally narrowed it down to a stick of RAM that went bad.  After
removing the RAM, the panics have disappeared entirely.  (I believe OS
X is more picky about RAM or taxes it more, because the RAM is now
happily residing in my PC where it even passed the memory test at
memtest86.com... wish we had something like this for OS X.  My Power
Mac doesn't even have an Apple Hardware Test CD because it's too old.)

So if USB devices aren't causing the problem (the most likely culprit
for kernel panics), you might want to check your RAM before going
through the headache of reinstalling OS X.

Good luck,

Garrett
garretts at xmission.com