Recommendations for a low cost scanner?

Sidney Ho SKYHO at compuserve.com
Sat Jun 7 09:20:11 PDT 2003

>> I need to "fax" some documents to somebody and I'm after the best Mac
>> compatible low cost scanner on the market.
>>
>> Would it be one of those slim Canon scanners?
>>
> I bought a Canon for $79 at the Apple Store a couple weeks ago.  I believe
> it was the model LDi30 or something like that.  Supposedly you can store and
> even use it standing on edge, although I've not tried that yet.

We bought 4 x Canon Lide 30 and 1 x Canon Lide 50 (only sold in Europe so
far). We dumped more expensive HP and Epson scanners. Umax is junk. The
Canons work very well in OS9 (OK in X but must resort to some Classic
supporting apps such as OCR). I play in X.10.2.6 and work in 922. The
software package is a bargain for the price and your original CD allows 3rd
party software updates directly at the Canon support site. The slim/light
scanner even travels well with a Ti in a briefcase-- and, as has been
mentioned, the USB bus alone powers the scanner. Buttons power up on hot
plug in with about 10 seconds to attach/scan. Scans are even good enough for
Photoshop. Highly recommended!