[Ti] sleep mode - Battery life

David Remahl david at ittpoi.com
Sat Jun 7 08:55:37 PDT 2003

On lördag, jun 7, 2003, at 17:17 Europe/Stockholm, Mark O'Brien wrote:

> On 6/6/03 8:54 PM, "Roger Snyder" <rogersnyder at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>>   I leave some programs up a lot, I guess usually (email, browser,
>> Spamfire), but not always (except Spamfire). Usually I only shut them
>> down
>> if I'm doing a Photoshop/Dreamweaver/etc. Workday and things seem to
>> be
>> slowing down. I don't leave the last mentioned programs up often when
>> I'm
>> done (though since I doing web site work almost every day, I've
>> started
>> leaving DW up a lot). Photoshop seems to take too much room.
>
> It's not just a memory issue. Some applications use CPU time when
> seemingly
> at idle. For example, I have Safari open right now, but am not actively
> browsing. With 2 or 3 windows open, it seems to take 5-8 percent of
> the CPU
> cycles (though it drops drastically when I close those windows and
> leave it
> running). MS Word, with no documents open, occupies a trickle of
> cycles.

"Modern" programs - ie Cocoa applications, well-behaving Carbon
applications using the new Carbon Event Model and daemon processes -
use little or no CPU when idle. Safari is one of those (the first
category) and doesn't use much CPU when idle. It will, however, use CPU
if it is needed for some thing. Perhaps it was playing a GIF animation,
or doing some Java / JavaScript in the background. Closing windows
should take care of that.

Older Carbon programs that still use WNE event processing (OS 9 style)
will use a percentage of the CPU (typically 2-3%) when idle, because of
how they are constructed. Word is one of those. Dreamweaver and
Photoshop are two other.

/ Rgds, David