Delurking... (nice surprise with an old app)

Claude Bolduc aubelloc at videotron.ca
Mon Jun 9 19:52:24 PDT 2003

Hello all...

I've been lurking in this list since shortly before making the plunge
and getting myself a (maxed out) TiBook on Dec. 22, 2002.  I must say
I've been in awe ever since I first opened it: the PowerBook G4 is
simply a great computer.

To make a long story short, the TiBook is not my first Mac: this honor
belongs to a Fat Mac I bought in 1985 from the fruits of two years
worth of summer jobs.  It served me well, very well (among others, I
used it to publish my residence's newsletter; page layout and editing
done wholly with MacWrite and MacPaint).

The only software I did buy then (save for Infocom's HHGTTG and, once
at University, Word) was Hypercard, which I used extensively in my
Translation studies as a much more powerful way to keep a personal
translation database than index cards (what our teachers were insisting
we ought to do).

After a long stint in IT (in Ottawa, it pretty much meant embracing the
Dark Side), I decided my next computer would be a Mac when I first
heard about the first-generation iBooks (what a look these laptops
had!).  Since I had kept everything on floppy archives when I gave the
Mac to my younger brother -- he was still using it 15 years after
purchase -- I was somewhat hesitant about whether I could get the files
back, and whether they'd still be legible by the newer programs.

I eventually did get everything back... and just for kicks, I
double-clicked on my translation stack.  To my jaw-dropping amazement,
it launched! I could consult it just like I used to do, albeit in a
tiny 512x342 black & white window).  The implications are staggering :
I used to run Hypercard in Mac OS (well, Finder) 1.1g.  This means
Apple kept, in OS X, enough of the original QuickDraw API including I
surmise a fair amount of old code: the 680x0 emulation layer is still
present in OS X (albeit in Classic mode), for a 16 year-old application
still runs.

This would be utterly unthinkable in the Windows world : the great
majority of programs written for Windows95 can't even launch in Windows
XP, yet this is akin to seeing Write or Paint 1.0 (written by Microsoft
for the visual horror that was Windows 1.0) run smoothly in Windows XP.

That's what I like Apple for: we may gripe and complain, especially
about the price of its products, but allowing old apps to run in the
newest and greatest OS takes time, and therefore money.  You do usually
spend substantially more for an Apple computer, but you also get
something priceless in the exchange: greater quality.  I've been
troubleshooting PCs long enough to know.

As I told my father when, a few months ago, he asked me whether he
should buy a Mac or a PC (he's a complete novice), "If you want to
scratch your head a bit, buy a Mac.  If you want to bitch, complain and
be driven plain nuts by idiosyncracies, problems and bugs, buy a PC."

Claude Bolduc
Mac History: Mac 512K (1985), PowerBook G4 (2002)

P.S.  I may still have to (shudder) get a PC, most likely a laptop, to
replace my ailing Pentium II: Translator Workbench, the one software
package I can't do without in my present work in Translation, doesn't
run in VirtualPC... and no Mac version will ever come out for Microsoft
owns 20% of the company's shares...  That's also why I've only recently
switched back to the Mac.

---
News Flash : Weapons of Mass Distraction Found In Bush's Speeches