[Ti] iMic question (was Audio & Ti500mhz)

Philip Booth pcbooth at swbell.net
Mon Jun 9 18:29:15 PDT 2003

On 6/9/03 9:52 AM, "George Rothrock" <grafzepp at mac.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I also have imported audio sources into my TiPb.  I used the iMic with
> my TiPb 550, but now use the included mini-pin with my 1ghz.  However,
> the iMic is a great thing.  I just have a question about the comment
> below:  I found that you can't record directly from a turntable to the
> iMic.  You need a receiver with a "phono" channel.  I could be mistaken
> or misinformed, but I understand that the turntable uses a channel
> standard different that all others (CD, MD, etc.),

LPs were encoded with something called an RIAA (Yes the same folks we all
know and love) This system deemphasizes the base frequencies and emphasizes
the High frequencies. This was designed so the cutting stylus would stay in
the groove with the low frequencies and cut the Highs with enough force to
be picked up when played back.

The phono circuit in the amp applies a reverse filter on the signal to
restore the sound.