[Ti] Keyboard/Screen protection on 17"?

Jerry Krinock dearjerry at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 10 13:11:01 PDT 2003

on 03/06/10 12:27, John B. Crane at jbcrane at cranedigital.com wrote:

> FWIW, I had the "genius" at the Apple Store tell me that my Lombard's
> screen was "etched" because of the oils on my fingers coming in contact
> with the screen when closed, pressing against the keys. I don't know if
> I buy that... I'm sure that might ad to it, but I believe if the screen
> comes in contact with _anything_ during closed transport, it'll leave a
> mark.

More specifically, I would say, _anything_ which is not flat like the screen
itself; anything which concentrates contact in the same places all the time.

So, this makes me wonder, while that iSkin certainly protects the keyboard
from liquids, what about the screen?

I believe that the iSkin will increase the damage to the screen.

The iSkin is form-fitted to the keys; you've still got the problem of
contact being concentrated at the key corners, but now it is worse because
it is even closer, by the thickness of the iSkin.  Furthermore, you've still
got the finger oils (I'm not sure I believe these "etch" but let's assume
that Genius was correct).

FInally, it looks like the iSkin provides no protection from the trackpad
corners, which also cause lines due to abrasion on the keyboard.

If I was using an iSkin, I would also use the piece of paper, preferably a
thick piece of paper or thin cardboard, when closing my powerbook.   The
idea is to distribute the contact smoothly across the entire scree.

Jerry