[Ti] need help setting up the airport network to DSL

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Thu Jun 12 21:40:37 PDT 2003

>hello all
>first of all, i got the SBC dsl hook up but cannot
>setup with airport to go wireless. please help me out
>of this.
>thank you team.

Having installed about 4 or 5 wireless networks over a variety of
broadband providers, I have found that the order in which you boot up
the devices is important -- and sometimes different for specific
hardware!

Generally though, DSL router must be up and running before you turn
on any other devices. This can take several minutes depending on
hardware and service, so make sure the device is completely connected
to WAN (the docs for your hardware will tell you the expected
configuration of lights on the device for correct activity).

Then turn on the Airport. Again, following your provider's
instructions, you may need to configure the Airport (using Airport
Admin in your Utilities folder) to meet the needs of your service
provider (for example, whether or not to use PPPoE to connect to the
router -- usually NOT the case though).

I recently installed a Sprint DSL connection for someone and those
people are hosers! The Mac installer just did not run, and there were
no written instructions about where the PPPoE connection had to take
place; seems they relied on "online help" to get you through those
things, which, if the installer had worked, may have been fine.
Ended up calling tech support to find out that, even though he got
the Sprint deal through earthlink, he had to get a NEW earthlink
email/id, because... well, don't get me started.

Another important tip is to first plug the DSL router directly into
your mac via ethernet to configure it. Even on Airport base stations
there are warnings about doing certain configurations wirelessly.
Also, as with the Sprint weenies above, it saves lots of headaches by
confirming that the provider has indeed activated your account (I
have also seen this happen with Zoomtown accounts as well).

Once you are certain you have a connection with the DSL router, then
connect the airport to the router. You should reboot the router, then
start the airport.

Hope this helps.
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com