[Ti] [OT] Microsoft to quit web browsers for Mac

Henry Kalir kalirhe at umdnj.edu
Sun Jun 15 15:58:54 PDT 2003

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003, David Remahl wrote:

> On söndag, jun 15, 2003, at 17:04 Europe/Stockholm, Henry Kalir wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 15 Jun 2003, cbirds wrote:
> >
> >> Henry Kalir tapped out this message on 6/15/2003 10:43 AM

> >> Well it's  a shame for US......
> >
> > Apple should be ashamed! For their greed which cost them their
> > marketshare, and for resting on their laurels while the competition was
> > getting better and better!
> >
> > Best,
> > Henry
>
> Please...
>
> Competition between browsers is better than it ever was.
>
> Internet Explorer
> Camino
> FireBird
> Netscape
> Mozilla App Suite
> Safari
> Opera
>
> All but the first subscribe to the same ideology that the web should be
> based on standards. They adhere to the W3C recommendations as good as
> they can, and compete by offering different user experiences instead of
> competing by creating new and fancy in-house "standards".
>
> Besides, Apple isn't developing Safari out of greed. It is very
> possible that they either were told by M$ to expect IE to go away, or
> saw it coming as it hasn't been updated in 3.5 years. Leaving the
> platform without a browser wasn't something Apple felt like doing
> (Netscape could go away any day now, when AOL comitted to IE, and
> Mozilla funding could decrease dramatically).
>
> I don't think Apple has been resting. They have focused their efforts
> on developing one of the best operating systems on earth, together with
> a nice setup of consumer oriented applications. Now the turn has come
> to create a web browser that puts others to shame.
>
> / Rgds, David

David,

Sorry for perhaps being unclear - I was referring to Apple's greed in the
80s - when only Apple had "windows" but chose to price themselves at 2-3
times that of regular PCs. Nothing to do with Safari. the fact that IE is
not being further developed for the Mac OS platform is merely an
indication of Apple's currently dismal market share. Naturally - Apple has
to work (and FAST) to ensure that Safari does ALL that IE does and then
some.

Best,

Henry