[Ti] Privacy

David M. Wilson dmwilsonh at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 15 17:27:20 PDT 2003

Hi Tim,
The question "Do you use AIM?" was a lead in the right direction, but did
not complete the journey.  If you are using or have AOL Instant Messenger
(AIM) or more importantly iChat installed on your computer, then look at the
preferences to determine if you have "When I quit iChat/AIM, set my status
to offline" checked.

If you do not have this option checked, then AIM/iChat will recognize when
one (or more) of your "buddies" log onto the system or log off of the
system, then play the appropriate door opening/door closing (or whatever
sounds you have associated with those events.  This will occur whether the
program is active or not.

It is somewhat startling the first time you hear it happen and you don't
have the program actually launched.

Take Care (by way of port scans and whatever other safety precautions you
take online and offline), David Wilson