[Ti] TiBook and Airport Card

Mark O'Brien rmobrien at mac.com
Tue Jun 17 10:27:50 PDT 2003

On 6/17/03 1:15 PM, "Jesse Girard" <jess at girardrubber.com> wrote:

[snip]

> My wife has the older G3 400MHz Powerbook (the one with the bronze keyboard
> keys and the USB port, no Firewire port - "Pismo", maybe? Can't remember)
[snip]

That would be a Lombard. Pismos have Firewire.

> I wonder if the connection between your internal Airport card and the
> separate antenna is not good. Can you get in there and look at them? Can
> you take them apart and try re-connecting them? My TiBook came without the
> Airport card installed, so I had to install the card and connect it to the
> antenna.

I had this same thought - that the antenna connection might not be snug.

[snip]

> I'm not sure what "aligning" or massaging the antenna would accomplish,
> unless there are breaks in the antenna which one might reconnect by moving
> things around. Sounds like it could just as easily make matters worse...

On the TiBooks (at least the later ones) there are little plastic ports
about 1.5" long on either side of the wrist wrests. The antennae sit behind
these, as they are more RF "transparent" than the Titanium case. The one on
the left side is easily accessible behind an adhesive strip when the battery
is removed. If the antenna wire is not aligned perfectly behind the plastic
strip, reception could be diminished. Sometimes it can be re-aligned or
massaged back into place.

Mark