[Ti] [OT] Safari faking IE Was: Microsoft to ...

Deborah Shadovitz Deb at Shadovitz.com
Tue Jun 17 17:46:49 PDT 2003

On 6/17/03 5:03pm, "John Griffin" <jwegriffin at mac.com> wrote:

> Tarik Bilgin typed this message on 6/17/03 12:38 PM:
>> Debug --:> User Agent --> Windows MS IE 6.0
>
> OK, done! Now what concerns me is that when you get to a site that requires
> Windoze IE 6.0 or greater, Safari can indeed "talk the talk" but finds out
> very quickly that it can't "walk the walk."
>
> In other words, if I set Safari up to act like a Windows version of
> Explorer, will it actually be able to fool the web site into thinking that a
> Windows system is seeking access. And more importantly, can Safari handle
> the Windows IE codes that will be coming down to my computer?

The only way to know for sure is to try. One of my server's control panels
doesn't show all its controls for Safari or IE. It wants MSIE for windows.
So I use this method. The controls all appear and the panel functions. I
don't get perfect results but we are not sure if that is due to a control
panel issue or the User Agent feature. But the job gets done and that's what
counts. I LOVE this feature in Safari! It's brilliant.

- - - - - - Please cut here when quoting - - - - - -
Deborah Shadovitz, Author, Instructor & Speaker
<http://www.shadovitz.com> ~ <deb at shadovitz.com>
MacAddict Contributing Editor, O'Reilly Network author, Mac Design Columnist
The Adobe GoLive 5 Bible ~ <http://www.GoLiveBible.com>
Launch Pad Books & good old Mac Efficiency 101 at MacEfficiency.com