[Ti] [OT] OS X Porting

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Tue Jun 17 17:44:43 PDT 2003

Uh-oh, I think you may have opened a nice big can of worms; IMHO, this
is very off-topic, and really doesn't belong here, considering that
this discussion has gone on in many other forums already.

That said, here's what I would say is a very reasonable take on it:
Apple is a hardware company, not a software company.  It is unlikely
that they will ever port their OS to hardware that they did not make;
even if they moved to x86, they'd quite possibly require Apple hardware
to run the Apple software.  There's a well-circulated rumor that Apple
has a port of OS X on x86, but don't expect to see it any time soon.
This is more of a plan B than committed development and future plans,
however.  Most people expect Apple to announce the IBM PowerPC 970 as
the G5 at WWDC in under a week, so it's unlikely that Apple will move
to the x86 or any other architecture any time soon.  So don't get your
hopes up for any different platforms any time within the next few years.

Jesse Girard <jess at girardrubber.com> writes:
> Meanwhile, since we're off-topic anyway, when will Apple (or someone)
> release a port of OS X to any other UNIX-capable hardware platform(s)?
> It
> seems kind of ridiculous that hasn't happened yet, considering how *NIX
> people like to play with their toys.

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html