[Ti] Who's still using 9?

Deborah Shadovitz Deb at Shadovitz.com
Wed Jun 18 01:52:50 PDT 2003

On 6/17/03 10:47pm, "Zac White" <zacw at cox.net> typed:

> I don't. I just have no need to. I thought about deleting it the other
> day but decided that it might come in handy.

Me too. On my family's and client's Macs I have often removed 9 -
reformatted the drive and started fresh with OS X only. But for myself, for
teaching and demos I keep Classic. I've stripped the OS 9 folder to a bare
minimum with a couple of extras like Conflict Catcher still there.

One big reason I need to keep Classic around is for checking web pages,
since I design web sites.

Another reason for keeping it is that I never know when I'll need to access
something in a 9-only app or in an app that I didn't upgrade for X. I still
have my 7600 accelerated to G3 that I could use for 9 stuff, and it's on my
network, but it's easier to use Classic on my Ti than to start that Mac up.
To me, 9 is like insurance. (But as a Mac author I'm not the typical user.)

I booted into 9 maybe 1 time in the past year. I started Classic about 10
times, including demos to show people how cool OS X is and how they can
still use 9 if they ad X. (I have never failed to convince anyone to move to
X with that demo.)

- - - - - - Please cut here when quoting - - - - - -
Deborah Shadovitz, Author, Instructor & Speaker
<http://www.shadovitz.com> ~ <deb at shadovitz.com>
MacAddict Contributing Editor, O'Reilly Network author, Mac Design Columnist
The Adobe GoLive 5 Bible ~ <http://www.GoLiveBible.com>
Launch Pad Books & good old Mac Efficiency 101 at MacEfficiency.com