New Asante 802.11g card for Powerbooks

Bryan Forbes bforbes at forbesonline.org
Tue Jun 24 17:17:24 PDT 2003

Hi TiBookers:

Need to check some compatibility issues with some of you on the list.
Asante is introducting their own Airport Extreme card (due in July) and
according to their specs <http://tinyurl.com/f6hf> , an Apple—PowerBook
computer running Mac OS X 10.2.6 and AirPort 3.1 or later will work
with this card.

In order to use this card (if its compatible with my Tibook 667 running
X 10.2.6), do I need to ditch my FriendlyNET FR3002AL-1PCM and buy an
Apple Extreme base station <http://www.apple.com/airport/>.

Also, will the Apple extreme base station allow me to hook up an USB
printer and use ethernet or wirelessly connected computers (I also have
a B&W G3 running 9.2.2 and a Performa on 8.6 also connected via
ethernet in my home network).

If the extreme base station will give me this compatibility (work with
the new Asante card & give me a connection point making any USB printer
available to my home network), sounds like it will solve all my issues.

Bonus points ... what would you do if you had two USB printers ...
could you add a USB hub off the base station and use both ... anybody
doing this?

TIA

B. Forbes
 - Why do I use a Mac vs. a Wintel box ... it's simple, I get more
done in less time.