[Ti] Safari: Forms Autocomplete - where?

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Sun Mar 2 12:11:07 PST 2003

On  Sat, 1 Mar 2003 10:06:38 -0500 John R McDaniel <johnmcd at one.net> wrote:

> The lack of respect for intellectual property is a HUGE problem in many
> arenas. And worst of all, that lack of respect usually screws things up
> for those who do have a healthy respect for the work of others.
>
> More often than not, if you create, you understand. If you only
> consume, you don't.
>
> Time to wake up and turn around some attitudes.

I am actually glad I started this thread. But I really didn't expect the
kind of outburst that it received.

To be quite honest I read all the comments about Safari v.62 from the same
people who seem to be outraged by my having obtained a copy - and my
unspeakable temerity of asking about how to get one of its reported
attributes to work.

The thing is folks, you tend to raise the hunger for these features by
talking about it openly here on this list and ignoring the people who ask
you quite honestly and without malice where a copy could be downloaded. Do
you expect that we (who are much lower in the feeding chain and therefore do
not receive these morsels from Apple) are just going to sit and wait? Do you
expect that we will not Google (or more accurately - Slashdot) around and
eventually find a copy?

Perhaps when someone asks you where you got a copy of something that you
discuss here and it turns out to be a developer release of Apple software,
you could at least take the time to explain that such software is Apple's
intellectual property to be used by developers only and that unless we are
registered developers, we have no right to get a copy and try it out. This
would be preferable to waiting until we get it before you launch your
barrage of righteous indignation. I have gone back in the Safari v.62 thread
and cannot find one comment about it being verboten to the 'rest if us.'

To be quite honest, I had no idea that I was doing anything wrong by
downloading this file until I asked about the Forms Autocomplete feature.
Had I not asked the question, I (and probably hundreds of others) would
probably still be basking in complete innocence - which is why I said I am
glad I started the thread. At least I know where I stand.

By the way, I still haven't discovered how to use the Forms AutoComplete,
but I have kinda forgotten about it...

BTW: You might be interested to know that Gordon Burns has written a new
version of Safari Enhancer just for v.62.

jg