[Ti] synchronizing hard drives

Warwick Teale warwick_teale at mac.com
Mon Mar 3 07:02:47 PST 2003

Mal, just interested in why you want this... you have a reason .

Somethings that come to mind are:

1) costly and not financially practical but good!: use a shared disk
array with RORKE DATA SANimage with shared partitions.. needs some FC
HBA's too. not for you I think but mention it. This would give you a
SINGLE image shared between two or more machines.. very costly in a
sense. no need to synchronise AND you would have the benefit of a RAID5
or some similar rotating parity disk array... .. as 'instant' as you
could get where both machines could UPDATE at the file level (data
level locking)..

2) more practical--> ON a use a backup/recovery application like DANTZ
"retrospect".It would be awkward to this because both macs would be in
use and there would have to be some 'arrangement' between each about
WHO was the 'production'. machine and who had the synchronisation of
the catlg.

MOvement of the data over the GbE would be heavy depending on the
frequency or interval of synchronisation you wanted ... 'instant?"..
hope not! (lol).

You could rely on the software to do this when it was time. But i think
you will need apple script or some method to schedule at the
interval/frequqncy you want to keep the machines in synch.

As most of us in the IT world have experienced, applications are locked
out while b/r apps do their stuff, for reasons of 'p.o.c.' and
serialisation.... so maybe some annoyance for you while this happens
around your feet while you work!

3)  do it your self with apple scripts and 'cp' commands or 'drag and
drop" + mistakes I'd image.

It could be done with scripts and some thought.

WHEN do moth machines have to be in SYNCH? Instantly? or a at each hour.

interested in what others think.

fwiw