TiBook 15" hinge repaired - now aluminum?

Joseph Fisher kzfisher at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 3 19:37:05 PST 2003

Greetings all;

Less than a week ago my 6 month old 15" TiBook left hinge snapped (I had
been very careful each time to open from the sides near the hinges and yet
it happened) Apple was very good to guarantee repair ASAP.

At first I did get the initial Apple rep who began to give me a "company"
line about the hinges not being covered etc etc. I just said "I know the
TiBooks have a hinge and paint problem." That was all it took. I got bumped
up to a "technician" she began telling me how they would gladly fix my
PowerBook and then proceeded to explain the shipping arrangements. I
mentioned that Tampa Florida had an Apple store and could I drop it by there
for shipping. She said, "No problem". When I met the great tech at Tampa
Apple Store I pointed out some possible beginnings of the dreaded paint
bubble problem. He said he would make note of it as well as the broken
hinge.

My powerbook arrived home today. It looks great. It appears from the
enclosed Apple "proof of repair" sheet that three parts were replaced - the
top case assembly p59 part #620-1881, the top housing sub-assembly 15.2 part
#603-0192 and the lcd bezel part #810-1517 which also has the abbrev. "alum,
pnt" as well - I assume this part is now aluminum rather than Titanium? Also
the color is a bit different on these visible parts, they are "whiter" is
the best I can describe.

Does anyone else have a similar experience? Is Apple repairing the hinge
break problem with a new aluminum replacement? New paint but same old parts?

I have 90 days warranty on the repair - and of course going for the Apple
extended care but wonder if it will cover hinge failure in the future?

-- Joseph Fisher