[Ti] Weird Screen Behavior...

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 5 23:52:45 PST 2003

According to Michael Bigley:

>>The problem is thus: I go to transform a layer. I do a command T,
>>adjust the layer to the size I want it at, and hit enter. At that
>>moment (when it resamples the layer) the screen goes "hysteric" and
>>jumps around for a few seconds. I have never seen this behavior
>>before, and it has only happened in Photoshop, when working with a
>>layer. I should also mention I only have 1GB of free space on my
>>disk.
>
>The amount of free space is very small and could cause that weird
>behavior in Photoshop.  I don't think Adobe has the OSX memory
>scheme perfected in PS 7.x.  I would imagine that the OS and PS are
>fighting over that gig.

Sort of. The OS 'takes' the space it needs, mostly for the Swap,
right from the get-go. That's why a 30 GB drive, on a Mac with 1 GB
RAM shows total space of 28,75 GB or so. The OS reserves double the
physical RAM, probably. half for itself, half for OS 9's VM. Just a
guess, but nothing else would really make sense. Where Photoshop is
concerned, all P-Shop users know that it wants as much space as
you'll give it for a 'scratch' disk. A partition is nice, because it
can be erased or whatever, after projects are completed... giving
Photoshop nice clean drive space to do its thing in. But it functions
fine, as long as there is sufficient free space, and the
less-fragmented, the better.

I run a lot of apps over here, audio/visual/ and tons of the usual.
There are only two apps [actually, one app, and a 'Suite'] that never
crash on me: Photoshop, and Office for Mac OSX. Everything else takes
its turn giving itself the heave-ho. My experience is that Adobe
P-Shop  runs great in Jag.

~flipper