[Ti] Weird Screen Behavior...

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 6 02:24:55 PST 2003

According to David Remahl:

>Heh...That's funny. Those two applications are the only ones that
>crash regularly on my machine :-). Well, there are a few others that
>do it too, but very seldom. Word crashes as soon as I touch it
>(which is why I don't :) and Photoshop crashes every once in a while.
>
>In conclusion, running Mac OS X with less than 1 GB of hard disk
>space is a BadThing. Having less than 400MB free (which Photoshop
>could certainly cause with its internal disk swap) - is a
>ReallyBadThing, and is known to cause the system to forget
>preferences. With even less space available, you risk the whole
>system, in case it runs out of VM (an ExtremelyBadThing).
>
>/ Rgds, David Remahl

Now that you mention it, I have heard of the 80 MB 'chunk' of Swap
space, as a block, that gets incremented. I've ben trying to figure
out what invisible thing is taking up 1.25 GB of space on my internal
drive.

The thing with Word, though, is different for different setups, I
suppose. I hear people gripe about Word a lot. But I've used Office
on my Ti, and on a reasonably decked-out Voodoo PC, and the Office
app is far more stable and maybe even slicker,on the Mac.

I'm not writing novels in Word, but it gets used heavily, and all i
could report was my own experience. The most recent Word crash was
last October. [it's still in my Crash reporter logs].  I also only
use Entourage for PIM stuff, albeit, heavily, so it isn't required to
grab 4 or 500 pieces of mail off all sorts of servers on a daily
basis, I leave that to Eudora, which crashed in January once, but I
don't remember how or why.[it's in the Logs, also].

Basically, what I was saying is that Photoshop and OSX like lots of
clean, non-fragmented breathing room, and as much RAM as possible.
And the whole system, apps, utilities,  and OS, included, benefits
greatly from an accurate, non-fragmented Directory, whether you run
graphic converter, or P-Shop, makes no difference. A Directory in
disarray, as well as a drive in a fragmented state, only bring
everything down, inexorably, over time. Period

~flipper