[Ti] Mac.com

Steve Wozniak steve at woz.org
Fri Mar 7 11:01:46 PST 2003

At 12:10 PM -0500 3/7/03, b wrote:

>Eudora' Personalities are all individually configurable for smtp out. As a matter of fact, all of the 500 or so parameters governed by the x-eudora-settings, as well as the main Settings, can be configured for each individual Personality, also, if so desired.
>
>I use my Eudora,on the road, with the Powerbook. Between the power and flexibility of Eudora, and the effortless switching between 'other' Internet access schemes, available using the OSX 'Location' menu, it couldn't be easier.

You have this somewhat wrong and you might be confusing readers.

Eudora uses the word 'Personality' not in the same convention as apps like Netscape. but rather as "accounts" in other email apps.

Several accounts with several ISP's require several 'Personalities' in Eudora. This is really not different than what Outlook Express and Entourage and Netscape and Mail calls 'Accounts'. Each account has it's own settings, including SMTP.

The concept of personality, in regard to this discussion, would mean a one-step way to change email settings (SMTP) based on which ISP you are using. I can enable 8 of Eudora's personalities (accounts) when I'm home, but enable a different 8 personalities for the same accounts (with different SMTP settings) when I travel, but this is far from one-step.

You can tell Eudora to use the system internet settings. Eudora recommends against this, but it is a solution. Just check this in Special-->Settings...->Miscellaneous and then change the SMTP ("Outgoing Mail Server") setting in the Internet System Preference as you move around, if you have problems with ISP's like Earthlink that filter SMTP. This is not a being a 1-step approach but it's closer. The same option to use system internet settings is available in other email apps.

In MacOS 9 the Location Manager could do this switching for me in one step. In OS X this ability, to switch SMTP settings, is not provided. You can create different computer login accounts, which would remember different Eudora settings, but it's a bit of a hassle to log in and out of my TiBook to make this change.
--

Regards,

Steve  (is tv wake zone?)