How does the screen latch work?

Jerry Krinock dearjerry at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 9 21:06:19 PST 2003

Hi,

I'm considering buying a used 800 MHz Ti which supposedly has a half-broken
latch that "you have to squeeze to make work".

The problem is obviously either (a) in the bottom part where the button is
or (b) in the slot up there in the screen.  If the problem is (a), the
worst-case is that I get a new latch from pbparts.com for $89 USD.  But
what's up there in the screen lid?  Is there any chance something in the lid
could be broken?  That would probably be a show-stopper.

I've read some messages on this in the archives but we don't seem to have
resolved this issue.

I do rather admire this latch, though.  My friends with Dark Side laptops
have this ghastly hook hanging down from the screen.  Apple has apparently
invented a way to hide the hook.   How do they do it?

Jerry